Last Updated: July 13, 2018
At First Opinion, our mission is to scale the world’s best healthcare to every human being. We believe that great healthcare information should be widely accessible, and we believe that using technology is the best way to gather, learn from, and disseminate that information. We want to build and develop that technology, but without compromising on your expectations of privacy for the data you share with us.
Who We Are
We are First Opinion. When we refer to (“we,” “us,” “our,” or “First Opinion”), we mean First Opinion Services, Inc. We provide a service for you to interact with doctors for informational and educational purposes.
We partner with Curai, Inc., (“Curai”), a company that builds and maintains healthcare technology and performs research in health informatics. We contract with Curai to develop, manage, and optimize our technology, and to perform research and learning on topics related to healthcare and our Services.
Information We Collect and How We Get It
The information we collect includes data you provide to First Opinion or our doctors, such as your contact information and the health-related messages and questions you send and replies you receive, and data about your use of the Services, such as the pages or features that you interact with when you access and use the Services.
Information You Provide
Account Information. When you register with us on the App or through the Website to create an account and become a registered user, you will need to provide us with certain personal information to complete the registration, including information that can be used to contact or identify you, which may include your name, email address, username, password, and phone number. We also collect other information you provide as part of registration process and the administration and personalization of your user experience, including demographic information such as your gender, age, and zip code. We may combine this information with the personal information we collect from you.
Health Information. We may collect health information provided by you or generated through your use of the Services. This includes details of your informational exchanges with participating doctors and their responses, suggestions, and guidance, and interactions with our digital services. We may also hold the information that you have consented to share about you and your health where you have chosen to link other apps, devices, or services—such as the Apple HealthKit, fitness trackers, or other health-appliances—to our Services.
User Generated Content. We collect information you provide to First Opinion as feedback through the App, email, or our Website, including comments, reviews, and ratings.
Information We Collect Automatically
Internet Information. We and our third-party service providers also collect other information automatically through the Services that we may combine with other personal information we have collected about you. The information we collect automatically may include information such as your IP address, analytics information (such as content accessed during your current session and over time and interaction information), the URLs of the websites you visit before and after navigating to the Services, your computer’s or mobile device’s software and hardware attributes (including device identifiers), mobile network information, and your general geographic location derived through your IP address (e.g., your city, state, or metropolitan region). We or our third-party service provider may collect such information using a variety of tracking technologies, including server logs, cookies, application IDs, and pixels and web beacons. You can set your browser to refuse to store cookies or delete cookies from your computer, but then certain features of the Services may not operate correctly.
How We Use The Information That We Collect
We may use your information for various purposes related to our operations and your use of the Services. For example, First Opinion may use your information to:
Provide the Services
- Provide the Services, including to let you sign up for an account and interact with our doctors, and otherwise fulfill the terms of any agreement you have with us.
- Respond to your inquiries about our Services.
- Contact you by email or push notification regarding our Services. For example, First Opinion will send you notifications when you receive a new message in the App, and you may receive other notifications about your use of the Services, including communications from doctors. If you do not want to receive our notifications, you may opt out at the time you first use the App, or you can turn them off using your device’s notification settings.
Improve the Services and Conduct Health-Related Research
- Create, compile, and share de-identified, aggregated, or anonymous information.
- Improve our healthcare products and services, and our artificial intelligence system, so that we can deliver better health-related information to you and other users.
- Conduct health-related research and collaborate with third parties for such purposes, including to train computer models, construct statistics, and evaluate them for healthcare-related purposes.
- Engage in analysis and research concerning the Services, improve users’ experiences with the Services, and otherwise enhance the quality of our products and Services. This may include analyzing data about your use of our products and services to, for example, troubleshoot bugs within the App, forecast demand of service and to understand other trends in use, including which features users use the most and find most helpful, and what features users require from us.
Market the Services and for Other Promotional Purposes
- Send you promotional information about our Services, as well as other topics that are likely to be of interest to you, including updates or other non-operational communications. We may also send you relevant offers and informational materials on behalf of our research partners and other third-parties pertaining to your health interests, including information about healthcare-related products and services and clinical trials. First Opinion does not use your individual account and record information from the Services for marketing on behalf of third-parties without first asking for and receiving your opt-in consent or authorization. If you wish to opt out of receiving promotional emails at any time, please click the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the email. Even if you do so, you may continue to receive non-promotional emails with information relevant to your use of the Services.
Other Legal Purposes
- Comply with legal and/or regulatory requirements, or to protect our rights and interests, as described below in the “Legal Purposes” subsection of this Policy.
How We Share Your Information with Third Parties
We may share your information with third parties for the purposes described below:
Physicians. Your information will be shared with participating physicians when you interact with them.
Curai. Curai, Inc. is a First Opinion affiliate that owns the artificial intelligence technology used by our Services and is responsible for maintaining and improving that technology. First Opinion has contracted with Curai to use Curai’s personnel and technology for the purposes disclosed above in the section “How We Use the Information that We Collect.” Curai is bound by confidentiality and data security provisions, and Curai can use your data only for the purposes we specify and in accordance with this Policy.
Third-party service providers. First Opinion uses third-party service providers to help us perform certain business-related functions, including managing and improving the Services. These service providers may collect and/or use your information to assist us in achieving the purposes discussed above in the section entitled “How We Use the Information that We Collect.” For example, we may use third parties to perform data storage and processing services for us, to provide customer service, and marketing assistance. We also partner with certain third parties to collect, analyze, and use some of your information as described below in Third-Party Analytics, and to create aggregated data or de-identified that no longer identifies you personally.
We also may share your information with other third parties when necessary to meet the terms of any agreement that you have with us:
Research Partners. We work with partners to improve our artificial intelligence system and for research-related purposes, including to train computer models, construct statistics, and test new computer systems for healthcare-related purposes. These partners are bound by confidentiality and data security provisions, and they are permitted to use your data only for the purposes we specify and in accordance with this Policy.
Aggregate or De-Identified Information. We may disclose to third parties aggregate, de-identified, or other anonymous information derived from your identifiable information.
Legal Purposes. We also may use and share your information with third parties when we determine in our sole reasonable discretion that doing so is necessary:
- To establish or exercise our legal rights;
- To defend against legal claims or as otherwise required by law;
- When we believe disclosure is appropriate in connection with efforts to investigate, prevent, report or take other action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud or other wrongdoing;
- to facilitate the financing, securitization, insuring, merger, sale, assignment, bankruptcy, consolidation, liquidation, acquisition, or other disposal of all or part of our business or assets.
Data Retention, Security, and Transfer
First Opinion uses commercially reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your Personal Information against loss or unauthorized access, use, modification, or deletion. Please be aware that despite our best efforts, no data security measures can guarantee absolute security. You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your log-in and password private.
First Opinion may retain information as long as necessary to provide the services to you and to fulfill the purposes described in this Policy. If you would like First Opinion to delete the information associated with your account, please follow the instructions in the “Reviewing, Updating, and Deleting Your Personal Information” section below.
If you provide personal information through the Services, you acknowledge and agree that such personal information may be transferred from your current location to our offices and servers or those of our affiliates, service providers, or contractors located in the United States and other countries. Those countries may have data protection laws that are different from, and potentially less stringent than, those in your country of residence.
Reviewing, Correcting, and Deleting Your Personal Information
You may access, correct, and/or request deletion of certain information that you have provided to us by contacting us through the Services, or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you email us, for your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the information associated with the particular email address you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will attempt to comply with any reasonable requests for accessing, correcting, or deleting your information.
The Services are not directed to children under the age of 13, and First Opinion will not knowingly collect Personal or Other Information from anyone it knows to be under the age of 13. If you are under 13, do not register for the Services or submit any personal information about yourself to us. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13, we will promptly take reasonable steps to delete the data from our system.
California Privacy Rights
Under California’s “Shine the Light” law, California residents who provide personal information in obtaining products or services for personal, family, or household use are entitled to request and obtain from us once a calendar year information about the customer information we shared, if any, with other businesses for their own direct marketing uses. If applicable, this information would include the categories of customer information and the names and addresses of those businesses with which we shared customer information for the immediately prior calendar year (e.g., requests made in 2017 will receive information regarding 2016 sharing activities). If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this information, please send us an email message to email@example.com with “Request for California Privacy Information” on the subject line and in the body of your message.
We may update this Policy. When we do, we will also revise the “last updated” date at the top of the Policy. For material changes to this Policy, we will place a prominent notice on the home page or landing page of the Site or by send you a notification directly. We encourage you to review this Policy periodically to stay informed about how we are helping to protect the information we collect. Your continued use of the service constitutes your agreement to this Policy as it may be updated over time.
Questions or Comments
Privacy Administrator, First Opinion
3430 W Bayshore Road, Suite #104, Palo Alto, CA 94303